Friday, November 12, 2010

Witness Protection

So, we're selling our timeshare. I say selling, but we actually have to 'pay' someone to take it off our hands. We aren't getting a dime for it, and we have to pay all the closing costs, but we'll be glad when we're done with it, for various reasons (more on that later).

We get a pile of papers that we have to sign and date, have notarized, etc., so we head off to your bank to wrap this up. The banker/notary public lady says we have to have two witnesses. And none of the people working there can be a witness.

Really?

I look at her, and think either I don't understand, or SHE doesn't understand, and repeat back to here what I thought I understood, or she understood, or...never mind. She said again, 'no, they aren't allowed to be a witness'. I'm still stunned by this, and look at her with a 'this is preposterous' look on my face, expecting to see a 'I know, it's crazy' look back from her, or I'd even have settled for a logical explanation, like ' well we were sued once...', or 'this happened, and so we can't...', but there's nothing.

While I'm having all these conversations with myself, and then mentally thinking how outrageous it is that all these bank employees, who we trust with our money, are not allowed to simply witness us signing some dumb papers! (take a deep breath, Royce), Scott goes to a little waiting area, and asks two complete strangers if they would be willing to witness us signing our signatures. They seemed about our age, and in fact, I could picture us together on a cruise ship someday, and bless their hearts, they happily watched as we signed away our timeshare. (Why does that even have to be witnessed, anyway? Anyone would just have to ask me, and I'd tell them, YES, I did sign that! I would never deny it; I WANT to be rid of the timeshare.)

Now, here's where you go back up to the top of this post and look at my clever title. I often think when I'm reading a novel with titles to their chapter, that I in no way remember what the title is while reading the chapter, if it really has something to do with the chapter, or was a clever play on words, or some insight into what the author wanted to convey in the chapter. I think they should have the titles to chapters at the end of the chapter, so we can mull it over after reading the chapter.

Anyway, I'm quite proud of my cute play on words in my title. And still baffled as to why any of the bank employees couldn't be a witness. Now, I hope the UPS people delivered the signed papers to the closing office. I would hate to have to repeat that whole scene. I might just get mad all over again at what's become of our society that led us to even need a witness in the first place. (Don't get me going.)

No comments: